Murder accused claims not receiving proper medical care
Murder accused Veron Primus on Tuesday asked that it be put on the courtâs record that he is continuing his case without receiving the proper medical attention he had requested on numerous occasions.
Primus, a Vermont resident, is charged with the November 2015 murder of 33-year-old real estate agent, Sharleen Greaves.
He was remanded to prison on April 21, 2016 pending the outcome of a preliminary inquiry, which will determine whether the Crown has demonstrated that it has enough evidence to commit him to trial at the High Court.
Primus has since requested medical attention at the Serious Offences Court and on numerous occasions complained to Chief Magistrate Rechanne Browne-Matthias that he is not ready to proceed in the hearing because of his medical condition.
On April 20, 2017, the Chief Magistrate said she had had enough of the situation after the hearing had been adjourned for one month so Primus could be attended to. She added that she had spoken to the prison chief and was assured that Primusâ issues would be addressed.
However, Primus told the court that that morning he was told that he had refused medical attention, but that referred to October the year before when he refused to go to the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital for a scheduled visit, because he believed a gunman was waiting to attack him.
The matter was then adjourned until May 16 to facilitate Primusâ request. However, when he reappeared he asked the Chief Magistrate to note that he is proceeding without proper medical attention.
On Tuesday, the court saw three video interviews that the police conducted with Primus before the matter was once again adjourned until May 30, 2017. (AS)