Posted on

Catholic Bishop pleads not guilty to assault

Catholic Bishop pleads not guilty to assault

Share

The head of the Roman Catholic Church in Barbados, Bishop Jason Gordon, was last Friday granted $3,000 bail, after pleading not guilty to assaulting Junior Blackman, a 41-year-old altar server, on December 26 last year.

Trinidad-born Gordon, who is represented by Sir Richard Cheltenham, QC, appeared before magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant in the District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court in Barbados.

He returns to court on July 13 for trial.

Attorney-at-law Vonda Pile is representing Blackman.

In a brief statement to Barbados TODAY Friday evening, the Roman Catholic diocese said it was aware of the charge filed against its Bishop.

“The Church has every confidence in the legal process underway and in our Bishop’s innocence,” the statement said, adding that “as we reflect on our Lord’s Passion during this Lenten season, we continue to pray for all parties concerned”.

For four and a half years, Gordon was Bishop of both Kingstown (SVG) and Bridgetown (Barbados), before he was replaced by Bishop Gerard County.

A farewell mass was held for Gordon on February 2, 2016 at the Cathedral of the Assumption in Kingstown.

LAST NEWS