Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Layou resident to know fate on gun charges next week
From the Courts
October 14, 2016

Layou resident to know fate on gun charges next week

Layou resident Barry Antoine will know his fate next week in relation to a gun charge.

Antoine was charged that on June 16 at Layou, he had in his possession one Browning 9 mm semi-automatic pistol, serial number unknown, without a licence issued under the Firearms Act.{{more}}

He was also charged that on that same day and place, he had two rounds of 9mm ammunition without a licence issued under the under the Firearms Act.

Antoine pleaded not guilty to the charges when he appeared before Chief Magistrate Rechanne Browne-Matthias on Wednesday, denying that he had a firearm.

According to his evidence, Antoine was smoking a marijuana cigarette and had three more in his possession when he saw police officers approaching him.

He said he ran and threw a black bag, which contained the cigarettes, over a wall while officers chased him. He was eventually caught.

Antoine said the officers retrieved a firearm, but it could not have been his because he could not throw the firearm with his left hand, as the officers had previously testified.

The Layou man said he explained to the officers that he did not throw the firearm; however, they told him he would get six years in prison whether or not it belonged to him.

During cross-examination by senior prosecutor Adolphus Delpesche, Antoine said that officers met the firearm some 68 feet away from where he was standing and searched about two yards before they found the gun.

“I did not throw no firearm; I did not have no firearm in my possession,” he asserted.

In his closing argument Delpesche said it has been proven without a reasonable doubt that Antoine did, in fact, have the firearm.

He said one must have control or custody for the case to stand and PC York and Sergeant Bailey saw Antoine with the firearm; he threw it about 10 feet away and they retrieved it.

The prosecutor recalled Sergeant Bailey’s evidence that he saw Antoine throw the firearm, while York said he saw when Antoine throw something and when it fell he saw it was a firearm.

The senior prosecutor urged the chief magistrate to make her decision based on the evidence presented.

“Actions have consequences and he must be made to pay for his actions,” he added.

However, Antoine’s lawyer, Grant Connell, argued that no evidence was given that Bailey and York saw Antoine throw the gun.

Connell said York said he saw where the gun landed, but called to Bailey who went to look for it and told him to stay with Antoine, adding that it doesn’t make sense.

“There is absolutely no evidence to show that this man was in possession of a firearm,” he asserted.

Connell read a medical report which stated that in 2014 Antoine received cutlass wounds to his left hand that resulted in a permanent disability of his hand.

“You lucky somebody didn’t stash a five kilo of cocaine in that yard,” Connell said, as if hinting that Antoine would also have been charged for that if that were the case.

Antoine’s counsel said nowhere in the evidence did the police officers point out exactly where the firearm fell, adding that it was physically impossible for Antoine to do what Bailey said and it is supported by the medical report.

“You see the bag, you see the clothes, you see the spliff, but you can’t see where the gun come from?”

He said that there is a discrepancy, as pointed out by the prosecutor, who has not proven their case without a reasonable doubt.

Chief magistrate Rechanne Browne-Matthias said she would need time to consider her decision and adjourned the matter to October 19, 2016.

Antoine will answer to the ammunition charges on December 9. (AS)

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Press Release
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Official confirmation is still being sought by the government of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) in relation to a “deeply troubling” drone strike ...
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Front Page
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    While Government Senator, Jamalie John stood in Parliament during the 2026 National Budget debate to make clear that he was no child of the ‘Education...
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Front Page
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has been officially approached by the United States of America (USA) in relation to accommodating third-country d...
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Front Page
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    A Police Constable, and a barber who were charged in relation to an incident that occurred at Langley Park on Friday, February 13, 2026 walked free wh...
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Front Page
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The regional academic community can expect several more books from Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, in the coming months. Among them will be one...
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    News
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Three teenagers and a 23-year-old who were charged following a violent brawl in Kingstown on Friday, February 13, 2026 appeared in court on Tuesday, F...
    Bodies to be exhumed
    News
    Bodies to be exhumed
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Funds have been allocated in the 2026 Budget for over 100 bodies to be exhumed and reburied across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). This was annou...
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    News
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    “In a nation rich with Spiritual Baptist heritage, the voices of its youth have too often gone unheard. Recognising this gap, Bishop Andres Quow and S...
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok