Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Murder case dismissed, due to lack of evidence
From the Courts
April 12, 2016

Murder case dismissed, due to lack of evidence

Three men from the Grenadine island of Union rushed from the Serious Offences Court yesterday, after a murder case against them was dismissed because of lack of sufficient evidence given by police officers.

“The police must be made to do their job and do it properly,” lawyer Grant Connell told the court shortly before the case against Ekron Thomas, Kemroy Craigg and Derrol Small was thrown out.{{more}}

The three had been charged with the August 1 2015 murder of Allington Caine, a 29-year-old security guard of Union Island, originally from Byera.

Reports are that Caine died after he received a puncture wound to his head, following an altercation at Stick Bar on Union Island.

During the preliminary inquiry, it was revealed that the altercation began during a card game at the bar that resulted in objects being thrown, one of which struck the deceased.

Lead investigator on the matter, Inspector Atland Browne, explained to the court that all persons involved in an offence that causes harm to an individual are held accountable, adding that based on his investigations, all three men struck the deceased at some point.

However, tension rose in court when Connell, who represented Thomas and Craigg, and Israel Bruce, who represented Small, cross-examined the testimony given by Browne, who is also head of the Major Crime Unit (MCU).

Browne, while on the witness stand, began to question the defence attorneys, which is contrary to normal court procedure. Normally, during cross-examination, counsel are allowed to ask questions and whoever takes the stand would answer said questions and not put questions to counsel.

When corrected by court prosecutor Station Sergeant Elgin Richards, Browne reprimanded him with a stern: “You are a station sergeant, relax!”   

“I never expected such childish behaviour from an inspector,” Connell commented.

“It’s very disrespectful; the magistrate was there, counsel was there,” he told reporters after the PI, adding that he is sure it would be addressed by the Commissioner of Police.

Bruce, who represented Derrol Small, corrected the inspector, urging him to follow the instructions of the prosecutor, although he is superior to him in rank.

Chief Magistrate Browne-Matthias then took charge of the courtroom, stating that she would return to her chambers until both parties were ready to conduct themselves.

Acknowledging the Chief Magistrate’s request, the parties simmered down and continued with the proceedings.

Connell then suggested that the investigation done by police was incomplete, to which the Inspector replied that it was indeed completed “to the fullest.”

After declining to re-examine Browne’s evidence, senior prosecutor Adolphus Delpesche requested an adjournment, so that another witness could testify.

Connell, however, strongly objected to this. He argued that his clients had been in prison for months and some witnesses have never turned up to court. He further argued that the accused men should not be sent back to prison based on what he described as an “incomplete file” submitted by the police.

Connell also noted that Thomas had a medical issue for two months and since then no evidence has been given that he struck the deceased.

While agreeing with Connell, Bruce added that the case is “shambles,” which is evidence that the matter should be concluded.

Bruce stated that the court must take into consideration the length of time the men have spent in custody and discontinue the matter.

In light of this, the Chief Magistrate refused to grant the prosecution the adjournment. Browne-Matthias discharged the matter, stating that there was not sufficient evidence to proceed.

Last Thursday, the first human trafficking case to be reported here was also thrown out, making this the second case to be thrown out of the Serious Offences Court in three working days.(AS)

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    POLICE INVESTIGATE VIOLENT DISTURBANCES IN KINGSTOWN
    Press Release
    POLICE INVESTIGATE VIOLENT DISTURBANCES IN KINGSTOWN
    Forrest 
    February 16, 2026
    The Royal Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force is investigating a violent altercation involving groups of young people which began at a busin...
    The oldest story in the Book
    Our Readers' Opinions
    The oldest story in the Book
    Webmaster 
    February 16, 2026
    By Professor C. Justin Robinson; Pro Vice-Chancellor and Principal, The UWI Five Islands Campus My Priest asked to give a talk to the congregations at...
    No new taxes in 2026 Budget
    Front Page
    No new taxes in 2026 Budget
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE New Democratic Party administration, in its 2026 Budget is seeking to take St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) from a state of recovery, to one of...
    Opposition Leader rubbishes 2026 National Budget
    Front Page
    Opposition Leader rubbishes 2026 National Budget
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, has rubbished the 2026 Budget presented by Prime Minister, Dr. Godwin Friday stating that it is inadequate. Th...
    Wanted man shot by police
    Front Page
    Wanted man shot by police
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE POLICE have shot and captured a man said to be a person of interest in relation to a number of incidents. In a release issued on Thursday, Februar...
    Government proceeding ‘in total transparency’ with CBI – PM
    Front Page
    Government proceeding ‘in total transparency’ with CBI – PM
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE New Democratic Party government will fulfil its election promise by implementing a Citizenship by Investment programme (CBI), now that it has been...
    News
    National Heroes and Heritage Month, 2026 Programme of activities unveiled
    News
    National Heroes and Heritage Month, 2026 Programme of activities unveiled
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE 2026 PROGRAMME of activities to celebrate National Heroes and Heritage Month was unveiled at a media launch on Tuesday, February 10, 2026 at the U...
    Airports targeted for upgrades and expansion
    News
    Airports targeted for upgrades and expansion
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    TOTAL OF $62 million is allocated in the 2026 Budget, for airport development across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). Word of this came from Prime...
    Intervention planned to combat poor Math results in schools
    News
    Intervention planned to combat poor Math results in schools
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE NEW government in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), is on a mission to change how Mathematics is taught, with the hope of getting better result...
    Some persons surviving on $10 a day says PM
    News
    Some persons surviving on $10 a day says PM
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    SOME PERSONS IN St Vincent and the Grenadines are surviving on $10 per day. This was highlighted by Prime Minister Dr Godwin Friday, during his Budget...
    Geothermal wells may be capped by new government
    News
    Geothermal wells may be capped by new government
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    WELLS WHICH WERE dug in the northern part of mainland St Vincent as part of a geothermal project under the ULP administration, are now said to be emit...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok