Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Accused shooter says gun is not his
From the Courts
January 12, 2016

Accused shooter says gun is not his

The man apprehended for the shooting of Dexter Rodney at Rose Place last year says the gun he is being accused of using is not his.

Ottley Hall resident, Denzil “Scammie” Sam appeared at the Serious Offences Court yesterday to answer charges of having in his possession a .380 ACP Pistol, serial number P859830 along with seven live rounds of .380 ammunition without a licence.{{more}}

“The firearm was not mines own,” the 29-year-old told the court.

According to Sam, he had just arrived at the house to collect a cell phone he left to charge when police officers barged in and apprehended him.

“I only went to collect my phone,”

Sam said that he is not a resident of the house, but because he does not own a charger nor does he have electricity at his house, he had left his phone charging there that morning before travelling to Kingstown.

After being apprehended, he said that police officers took him back to the house and he does not know where the firearm came from.

However, Sam’s story conflicted with that of the arresting officer Corporal 328 May, who said that when he entered the house he saw Sam standing with a cellular phone to his ear and when he approached him, he noticed a firearm on the floor, two feet away.

May said he called for back-up from PC 591 Robinson, who at the time was standing guard at the door. They apprehended Sam and he replied “Officer, I don’t know anything ‘bout that.”

This prompted the team of officers to conduct further checks of the house, but nothing illegal was found.

May further stated that on his way to the police transport, Sam refused to hand over his cellular phone, which was later recovered by another officer.

A search of police records revealed that Sam did not possess a licence for the firearm and ammunition.

Sam’s cellular phone also contained photographs of Sam holding a firearm similar to the one recovered by police. Those photos were displayed in court.

The accused then alleged that during this arrest, he asked the police to take him to his home, because that was not his house.

During his cross-examination by Senior Prosecutor Adolphus Delpeche, Sam said that the day in question was the first time he had gone to the house in seven to eight years.

He claimed that he was in the house for about one minute before police arrived.

Cross-examination further revealed that his child’s mother, who was also arrested in relation to the gun, was frequently at the same house.

“So you have not visited this house in seven to eight years and you were there for one minute and police lock you up. You don’t find that strange?” Delpeche questioned.

However, Sam said that he was wanted, so it was not strange to him, but he never lived in that house.

When questioned about the firearm in the pictures displayed to the court, Sam claimed that a Guadeloupian friend, who he said owned the firearm, took the picture in October while in the mountains on the leeward side of the island.

“Things look alike,” Sam said, in relation to the firearm.

Sam then accused May of lying, alleging that the firearm was not found at the house and he does not know where the gun was found.

“I was not inside when they found the gun,” he said.

However, earlier in the trial he implied that May found the gun under a chair.

When Delpeche picked up on this, Sam quickly retorted, stating that while at CID, he heard an officer saying he found the gun under a chair.

Sam, who is no stranger to police officers, also defended wrestling with the police officer for his phone, stating that he always loses his phones when he is arrested by police and that is why he did not willingly hand it over.

Sam will reappear before the Serious Offenses Court on January 19, when his five witnesses will be expected to give evidence. (AS)

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Press Release
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Official confirmation is still being sought by the government of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) in relation to a “deeply troubling” drone strike ...
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Front Page
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    While Government Senator, Jamalie John stood in Parliament during the 2026 National Budget debate to make clear that he was no child of the ‘Education...
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Front Page
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has been officially approached by the United States of America (USA) in relation to accommodating third-country d...
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Front Page
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    A Police Constable, and a barber who were charged in relation to an incident that occurred at Langley Park on Friday, February 13, 2026 walked free wh...
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Front Page
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The regional academic community can expect several more books from Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, in the coming months. Among them will be one...
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    News
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Three teenagers and a 23-year-old who were charged following a violent brawl in Kingstown on Friday, February 13, 2026 appeared in court on Tuesday, F...
    Bodies to be exhumed
    News
    Bodies to be exhumed
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Funds have been allocated in the 2026 Budget for over 100 bodies to be exhumed and reburied across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). This was annou...
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    News
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    “In a nation rich with Spiritual Baptist heritage, the voices of its youth have too often gone unheard. Recognising this gap, Bishop Andres Quow and S...
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok