Posted on

Application by AG to disbar former registrar upheld

Application by AG to disbar former registrar upheld

Share

The way is now clear for Attorney General Judith Jones-Morgan to move to have former High Court registrar Tamara Gibson-Marks disbarred.{{more}}

An application by Jones-Morgan for Gibson-Marks to be disbarred because of improper and unprofessional conduct was heard on Monday before Justice Esco Henry in Chambers at the High Court in Kingstown.

In the application, filed on June 5, 2014, the attorney general gave three reasons why the former registrar should be disbarred and called on Gibson-Marks to show cause why she should not.

Gibson-Marks, who was appointed High Court registrar by the Judicial and Legal Services Commission in 2008, resigned on May 21, after being asked to do so by the attorney general.

On August 21, Gibson-Marks was charged with abuse of office, false certification by a public officer and theft of $21,925. She pleaded not guilty to all three charges, and was granted bail in the sum of $30,000, with one surety. Her husband, lawyer Ronald Marks stood bail.

No request was made by the prosecution for Gibson-Marks’ travel documents to be surrendered.

However, when she attempted to leave the country the day after she was charged, she was stopped by Immigration authorities.

Gibson Marks did not attend Monday’s hearing before Justice Henry, but she is said to be still in St Vincent.

Last week, at a press conference, Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves said Gibson-Marks had already repaid a total of over $300,000, which had been withdrawn from a trust account at the St Vincent Cooperative Bank and from a mediation account of the High Court.

LAST NEWS