Posted on

High Court Judge fed up with men beating women

Share

High Court judge Frederick Bruce-Lyle has added his voice to those speaking out against the spate of violent crimes being committed against women in St Vincent and the Grenadines.{{more}}

“No man has the right to lay his hands on his wife or his common-law wife. No man is supposed to do that. I’m tired of this in this country…,” Bruce-Lyle firmly stated.

At the time, the outspoken judge was addressing Bilton Primus, 38, carpenter of Campden Park, who was found guilty of assault and grievous bodily harm on 22-year-old Dorine Edwards of Old Montrose, which took place on November 5, 2009.

During the trial at the High Court last week, the young woman testified that she was kidnapped by the defendant and taken to his home at Campden Park, where she was held for eight days.

While there, she said she was beaten repeatedly, struck with a hammer in her head and knee, which had to be surgically operated on. She said she escaped one night when the defendant was asleep.

However, the jury returned a not guilty verdict on the charge of kidnapping, on Monday, October 24.

“There is a lot of physical abuse in this country. Men beating women. I have to open my mouth,” Bruce-Lyle said.

At the end of the trial, the judge called Edwards to the witness box and asked if she wanted compensation for her injuries. She said no.

With previous convictions of a similar nature, dating back to 2003, Bruce-Lyle told Primus that it was clear that he never learnt a lesson from his prior convictions. “This is a very serious offence you know; it carries a maximum of life in prison. You held this girl for eight days. She doesn’t even want your money.

Primus was remanded to her Majesty’s Prison pending sentencing on November 11, 2011.

Crown Counsel Colin John led the crown’s case while attorney Ronald Marks represented Primus in the matter.(KW)

LAST NEWS