Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Moore walks free, Bess to stand trial
From the Courts
October 9, 2009

Moore walks free, Bess to stand trial

One man walked free, while another was committed to stand trial earlier this week for causing the death of Sherene Clouden on December 8, 2008.{{more}}

Kamal Moore, 21, of Ottley Hall was jointly charged with Atiba Bess, 16, for causing Clouden’s death. She was shot in the head on December 8, 2008, while standing near the public road in the company of two men.

Embraced by a relative, Moore, of Ottley Hall, walked away from the Serious Offences Court a free man on Monday, October 5, after a Chief Magistrate Sonya Young upheld a no-case submission by attorney Grant Connell.

In his no-case submission, Connell stated that there was absolutely no evidence put forward by the prosecution to make out a prima facie case against his client. He said that there was no confession to the crime from Moore and argued that his client was at his home when the crime took place. “The only concrete evidence here is the authority of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to lay the charge,” Connell submitted.

The young counsel further stated that his client has been in prison for over 10 months for a crime he did not commit and submitted that the case come to a “grinding halt” and be dismissed.

Before he entered the no-case submission, Connell questioned investigating officer Inspector Sydney James about the grounds on which Moore was charged. In his response, James said that there was evidence from other witnesses that placed Moore away from his home that night. Magistrate Young then posed the same question to the 28-year police veteran, who in his explanation said that the file was sent to the DPP, who directed that charges be laid against Moore. However, James indicated that he did not just charge Moore because of the instructions given by the DPP, but because there was evidence pointing towards Moore being involved.

As soon as word got out that one of the men charged with the murder of her daughter had been freed, Kenlyn Clouden, who was standing outside the Serious Offences Court, let all her emotions loose. “No, this ain’t right, this just ain’t right…my daughter dead just so and he walk free,” Clouden moaned.

As she banged her hands repeatedly on the walls of the court building, matters got a bit tense in the hallway of the courtroom during an encounter between Clouden and a relative of the freed man. A tussle ensued between Clouden and the woman, during which Clouden accused the woman of pushing her for no reason. The police quickly intervened.

As a car whisked Moore away, Clouden had to be consoled by persons outside the court.

The grieving mother told SEARCHLIGHT that she was not at all happy about the manner in which the case was carried out and still believes that if witnesses were offered more protection by the police, Moore would still have been answering to a murder charge.

However, Atiba Bess was not so lucky. He was committed to stand trial before a judge and jury in the High Court for Clouden’s murder after a no-case submission by attorney Kay Bacchus-Browne did not get the favour of the magistrate.

In Bacchus-Browne’s failed attempt at a no-case submission, she indicated to the court that Bess only made statements after being promised certain things. The prominent attorney also added that the evidence from the statement did not support a crime of murder and that Bess was only acting in self-defense.

Both men had also been charged with wounding Jomo Brudy, who was shot during the same incident that caused Sherene Clouden’s death. They were both cleared of that charge.(KW)

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Press Release
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Official confirmation is still being sought by the government of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) in relation to a “deeply troubling” drone strike ...
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Front Page
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    While Government Senator, Jamalie John stood in Parliament during the 2026 National Budget debate to make clear that he was no child of the ‘Education...
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Front Page
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has been officially approached by the United States of America (USA) in relation to accommodating third-country d...
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Front Page
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    A Police Constable, and a barber who were charged in relation to an incident that occurred at Langley Park on Friday, February 13, 2026 walked free wh...
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Front Page
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The regional academic community can expect several more books from Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, in the coming months. Among them will be one...
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    News
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Three teenagers and a 23-year-old who were charged following a violent brawl in Kingstown on Friday, February 13, 2026 appeared in court on Tuesday, F...
    Bodies to be exhumed
    News
    Bodies to be exhumed
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Funds have been allocated in the 2026 Budget for over 100 bodies to be exhumed and reburied across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). This was annou...
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    News
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    “In a nation rich with Spiritual Baptist heritage, the voices of its youth have too often gone unheard. Recognising this gap, Bishop Andres Quow and S...
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok