IT’S A FACT THAT stained and yellow teeth turn people off. So, you have to be more careful about getting your teeth brighter and whiter. Dental hygiene and toothpaste alone will not restore stained enamel and whiten your teeth. You have to take care of other things also to make your teeth whiter. Many years of drinking coffee or tea, smoking or just simple poor oral health can lead to dental stains.
Causes of tooth stains
Dental stains can be divided into two different branches. These two types are extrinsic stains and intrinsic stains.
Extrinsic stains are those that can be noticed on the outer surface of the teeth, generally caused by fungus or bacteria that develop on your teeth. Habitual coffee/tea drinking, bad oral hygiene and some other habits, which cause stains on the outer surface of the teeth, are the causes of extrinsic stains.
Intrinsic stains are those that appear to be growing inside your tooth layers, or inside your teeth.
Antibiotics, too much fluoride, old age, tooth decay, injury inflicted directly on your teeth, and even tooth fillings are some of the causes of intrinsic stains.
How we can get rid of dental stains?
1. Main type of defense against gum diseases is proper and regular brushing and flossing. Try to brush your teeth after each meal, if possible and use floss at least once in a day to get rid of plaque. They can sustain the health and fitness of your gums, teeth and even the bones around the teeth. Good dental care can avoid many types of dental problems
2. Avoid diets which are highly rich in sugar, like soda drinks. And the acid in the soda drinks can also damage your gums and teeth. These things cause stains on your teeth.
3. To improve your oral hygiene, you should eat more fibre-rich vegetables and fruits. These food items enhance the generation of saliva, which helps in the enamelling of teeth surfaces during the early phases of tooth decay.
4. Quit the habit of smoking to avoid further harm to your teeth and gums. Smokers face normally higher risk of having gum diseases, as compared to non-smokers. Smoking also creates stains on your teeth. So, to get rid of these yellow stains, you should stop smoking.
5. You should visit your dentist for proper examinations of your teeth and cleanings at least two times in a year. Check-ups provide the detection of oral problems early.
6. Minimize acidic foods, like citrus fruits, that can contribute considerably to the staining and discoloration of your tooth enamel. Avoid acidic foods prior to sleep at night. And after eating these acidic foods, you must rinse and brush your teeth very well.
7. Minimize the usage of mouthwashes. They contain some chemicals that can discolour or stain your teeth.
8. Drink lots of water, because water will help in washing away the possible stains on your teeth and will remove the harmful bacteria.