Australia launches Direct Aid Programme
THE GOVERNMENT of Australia through the Australian High Commission in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago has launched its Direct Aid Program (DAP) for the period July 2021 to June 2022. DAP is a flexible small grants program through which the Australia Government supports development projects that contribute to sustainable economic growth and poverty reduction.
This country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the following groups are eligible to apply for the 2021 DAP grants:
• Community Groups;
• Non-governmental Organisations (NGOs);
• Local government organisations; and
• Other entities engaged in development activities on a not for profit basis.
In 2021-22, DAP will support projects that focus on:
• addressing community health challenges and non-communicable diseases (NCDs);
• promoting human rights, including projects that empower women, youth, Indigenous communities and people with disability; • improving access to safe water and levels of sanitation and hygiene in communities; and
• promoting sustainable environmental practices.
Preference will be given to projects where applicants and their communities make a contribution to the project.
Interested parties are asked to note that projects are generally between $Au 5,000 and $Au 40,000.
Eligible applicants may apply for funding of up to a maximum $Au60,000, but projects over $Au30,000
must be delivered in partnership with established entities and have a strong project design with a detailed budget, project timeline and risk management strategy.
As outlined above, all payments to successful applicants will only be transferred into registered NGO or entity accounts (i.e. payments will not be transferred into personal accounts). Projects generally run for less than 12 months but may, if necessary, run for a maximum of two years (with funding allocated in the first year). All projects must commence before June 1, 2022.
The High Commission will administer DAP in the Caribbean in one funding round in 2021-22:
• Applicants will be invited to submit an Expression of Interest between August 16 to September 5,2021.
Expressions will only be accepted during these dates and can be made at the following link: https ://dap. smartygrants.com. au/P 0 S DirectAidPro gram2021 -2022.
• Shortlisted applicants will be invited to submit full applications between 12 September 12 to October 7, 2021.
Further information on DAP and its requirements are available on the Australian High Commission website at https://trinidadandtobago. highcommission.gov.au/ ptsp/cooperation.html.