Posted on

No New Year’s Eve fireworks display in Bequia this year

No New Year’s Eve fireworks display in Bequia this year
Former Prime Minister Sir James Fitz-Allen Mitchell

Social Share

FOR A SECOND consecutive year, there will be no fireworks display on New Year’s Eve (NYE), in Bequia because of the global COVID-19 pandemic.

Sir James Mitchell, Chairman of the Bequia NYE Celebration Committee in a letter dated November 7, 2021 said although he remains “confident that better times are truly just around the corner,” the reality is that the pandemic is not yet behind us.

“… Despite a slow start to the uptake of vaccines, I am pleased to learn that Bequia’s vaccination rate is notably higher than the national average overall, and as a result we are seeing small green shoots of recovery all around us.

“We remain confident that better times are truly just around the corner, and look forward to welcoming new friends and old faces to Bequia in the coming weeks,” he said.

“But looking ahead to New Year’s Eve 2021, the reality is that the pandemic is not yet behind us, and restrictions on large gatherings are likely to remain in place for some time to come.

“Furthermore, with times so hard for everyone, it would be wholly unreasonable to expect businesses and individuals to contribute to any appeal for funding for celebrations. So it is with great regret that I write to inform you that there will be no Fireworks Display again this year,” the former Prime Minister said in his letter.

He made an appeal to those who wished to make an early contribution to the 2022 New Year’s Eve Display and thanked those who had made an early contribution last year. “Be assured that these funds are safely set aside now for 2022.”

Sir James, who is now hospitalized in Barbados, invited volunteers to join the NYE Committee. “Broad-based support is absolutely vital to keep the event going, and everyone has a role to play in ensuring that the event can continue for years to come.

“With all best wishes for 2022, and much appreciation for your continued support,” the letter ended.

LAST NEWS