Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Chief promises more co-ordination in the  Ministry of Agriculture
Chief Agricultural Officer (CAO), Renato Gumbs
News
November 5, 2021

Chief promises more co-ordination in the Ministry of Agriculture

Chief Agricultural Officer (CAO), Renato Gumbs said that St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has been receiving assistance from a number of sources, “but receiving the assistance and using the assistance are two different things”.

A north leeward farmer speaking at the handover of the seeds

He was speaking last week Friday at a brief ceremony at the conference room of the fisheries division, where a quantity of seeds was handed over to the Ministry of Agriculture for use by farmers.

The seeds of various varieties, are a gift from the Canadian charity ‘Still Kicking’ handed over by the Charity’s community outreach worker, Dwight Anderson.

Gumbs said the ministry wants to ensure that it maximises the benefits from what is received and “in that regard we are going to put a lot of emphasis on the technical support that we provide to the farming community.”

He pointed out that SVG which came through a drought, followed by the volcanic eruptions is now “in the middle of our recovery effort,” with the slogan “Build back Better”.

Gumbs told the farmers at the ceremony that the ministry is aware that “we need a lot of co-ordination in the way we do things.”

To address this, a committee is to be put into place to look at all aspects of vegetable production. The committee would not comprise primarily of personnel from the ministry of agriculture; but would be a broad-based team of farmers, representatives of the hotel association and tourism personnel among others, for “we want everybody to have a say and make their contribution in what we have to do going forward.”

Gumbs said marketing of agricultural produce is key, but due to its small population the country cannot absorb all that is produced, so “We need to go beyond our shores and sell externally.

…”and we have put together a small team to look at the terms of reference, and the terms of reference would determine who would be in on that committee.”

Gumbs’s comments followed an appeal from a North Leeward farmer at the ceremony who was grateful for the seeds, but complained about insufficient support from the agriculture ministry as well as the Roads, Buildings and General Services Authority (BRAGSA), for farmers in that community which fell within the volcano red hazard zone.

Farm lands in Richmond

North Leeward, he said, “has been totally dealt a severe blow by the volcano.”

The farmer,who hails from Richmond said that “In order for us to produce at the maximum we need assistance in some of these areas, especially in the Red Zone. When I say assistance, I mean in clearing the ash. We just cannot produce under these conditions, presently.”

He said further : “We more or less have to beg for the assistance, but if we can get some directives coming from the ministry, coming from BRAGSA through the ministry, it would be well appreciated so that we can produce to the max”.

The farmer said that he had contacted and received some help from BRAGSA to clear ash , however a huge amount remains on the ground and they need additional help using a front-end loader “to assist the farmers in clearing their lands so they could plant and produce vegetables.”

Minister of Agriculture Saboto Caesar also responding said: “we are going to deal with things like fertiliser, tilling the soil, the ash, roads, and related concerns including water tanks.”

He pointed out that the equipment at the disposal of the government agencies can only plough the flat lands, and are unable to plough the slopes. As a result the government will be obtaining 40 hand tillers to be used by farmers to plough farms located on the slopes.

Another farmer then called on the ministry to have extension officers visit the farms to assist the farmers in their efforts to maximise production.

Minister Caesar said the ministry’s implementation timeline has been delayed by the current COVID-19 situation.

“I would have loved to have these seeds donated after all the ash was ploughed in, but I cannot refuse the seeds. I have to take the seeds when they are provided, and they are provided now and we will be meeting different farmers at different stages of their recovery,” Caesar said. “This is a work in progress. I do not have the solutions. I want to be a part of the solution, and it is going to be important that we continue to engage ourselves on this platform not only for the general conversation, but to address all of the issues.”

The Ministry of Agriculture, over the past few weeks since the cessation of the explosive eruptions, paid out around EC$5 million to almost 4,000 farmers, which required the involvement of the staff of the ministry. It was not one hundred percent successful, Caesar pointed out “but we got it done.”

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Vincentian Kemarlie Durrant honored with MCU outstanding youth award in Taiwan
    Front Page
    Vincentian Kemarlie Durrant honored with MCU outstanding youth award in Taiwan
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    KEMARLIE DURRANT STOOD out as the only international student honoured among the 12 recipients of the 2026 Ming Chuan University Outstanding Youth Awar...
    Vincentian Nurse stands out in Barbados
    Front Page
    Vincentian Nurse stands out in Barbados
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    A VINCENTIAN ON the nursing team at the The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Barbados, has been named Nurse of the Year as the hospital celebrates Nursing ...
    Spiritual Baptists arrive early to celebrate Liberation Day
    Front Page
    Spiritual Baptists arrive early to celebrate Liberation Day
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    ARCHBISHOP CHARLIE BLACKMAN from the Rock of Ages Evangelicals Spiritual Baptists of Barbados, along with many of the faith’s practitioners arrived in...
    Lawyer to take action on behalf  of accused  police officers
    Front Page
    Lawyer to take action on behalf of accused police officers
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE DECISION by the Royal St Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force (RSVGPF) to suspend without pay, officers who are accused of crimes, has attracte...
    Government looking at permanent fix for Grenadines housing and water problems
    Front Page
    Government looking at permanent fix for Grenadines housing and water problems
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE GOVERNMENT said that plans are underway to deal with the housing issues in the Grenadines, as well as the water problem that has been plaguing the...
    Nadia Slater’s alleged attacker remanded for a third time
    Front Page
    Nadia Slater’s alleged attacker remanded for a third time
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE CLARE VALLEY MAN, who is alleged to have attempted to murder Nadia Slater, the Acting Director of the Agency for Public Information (API) was rema...
    News
    Public servants were fettered under ULP, says PM Friday
    News
    Public servants were fettered under ULP, says PM Friday
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    PUBLIC SERVANTS under the Unity Labour Party (ULP) administration were not given the freedom to do their jobs property, Prime Minister (PM) Dr. Godwin...
    Former PM thanks God that NDP didn’t boycott Spiritual Baptist Bill
    News
    Former PM thanks God that NDP didn’t boycott Spiritual Baptist Bill
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    FORMER PRIME MINISTER and Leader of the Opposition, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves has reminded the general public that the New Democratic Party (NDP) now in gov...
    Agro-processors address constraints in the sector at Forum
    News
    Agro-processors address constraints in the sector at Forum
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE CENTRE for Enterprise Development (CED) brought together agro-processors, entrepreneurs, policymakers, financiers and other stakeholders on Tuesda...
    Calypso tents to blast off next week
    News
    Calypso tents to blast off next week
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    A NEW CALYPSO tent will be part of this year’s Vincy Mas Great Escape, when the tents begin to present their casts for the 2026 carnival season on Tue...
    Former PM accuses NDP of taking credit for ULP initiatives
    News
    Former PM accuses NDP of taking credit for ULP initiatives
    Webmaster 
    May 15, 2026
    FORMER PRIME MINISTER of St Vincent and the Grenadines, and Leader of the Opposition, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves is accusing the New Democratic Party( NDP) a...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok