Former workers of Buccament Bay resort to be paid today
Today is the day that the government will make payments it has promised to former worker of the Buccament Bay resort.
Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves, announced this on Monday against the backdrop of preparations being made to provide income support to farmers who have been affected by La Soufriere’s volcanic eruptions in April.
“The workers are getting their payment on Friday, from the proceeds of what we had sold the things, the tvs and furniture and so on…I think that’s an important pay-day,” Gonsalves said on radio, referring to the auction that was held of various items from the former Buccament Bay Resort earlier this year.
Finance Minister Camillo Gonsalves, announced in May during his supplementary budget presentation in Parliament that the former workers would each receive a pay out of EC$2000.
The payments were raised through the auction which garnered a total of $732,180.
The Finance Minister said the funds were to be distributed evenly among workers who were employed at the resort at the time of its closure more than five years ago, and did not receive severance payments.
He also noted that the $2000 is considered an ex-gratia payment as the government does not owe the workers, but recognise the difficulty in these times.