Posted on

Cubans return: Argyle earthworks resume Monday

Cubans return: Argyle earthworks resume Monday

Social Share

Work on the earthworks component of the Argyle International Airport is expected to resume on Monday, February 14, following the return of 44 Cuban workers.{{more}}

The group of workers, many making their first visit to St. Vincent and the Grenadines, arrived here last Wednesday morning. The contingent consists of seven engineers and a doctor, among other technical workers.

Prime Minister Dr. Ralph Gonsalves at a Unity Labour Party (ULP) rally at Biabou on Sunday, February 6, disclosed that most of the Cuban nationals who worked on the airport project had to return to their homeland last December on completion of their two year stint here.

Fifty four Cubans left in December and 44 have returned.

“The airport will continue shortly when the Cubans return, and also the terminal building will commence shortly,” said Gonsalves.

On this note, a voice from the crowd was heard shouting, “Me waanh wuk, me waanh wuk.”

At the end of 2010, the Chatoyer-Che contingent had completed 64.5 percent of the total earthworks, leaving a further 35.5 percent to be completed. According to Chief Project Consultant Leonardo “Professor” Perez, the team hopes to complete between 25 to 30 percent of the earthworks in 2011.

Meantime, work on the landside facilities will also commence this year. The contract for the construction of the terminal building has been awarded to the Taiwanese firm Overseas Engineering and Construction Company Ltd (OECC).

IADC has decided to do the site works, and construct all internal roads, drainage, and parking areas, using resources at its disposal. This means that IADC will, at some stage this year, enter into contracts with private firms for the construction of the Fire and Rescue Station, Cargo Terminal Building and Control Tower.

The IADC will also this year install a stone crushing plant, from which stones will be used in the pavement of the runway. Work on constructing a permanent access to Rawacou/Mt Pleasant will also resume this year.(HN)