Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Jagdeo not moving on Starbroek issue
News
February 16, 2007

Jagdeo not moving on Starbroek issue

Guyana’s President remains unmovable; his government’s decision to pull advertisements from the daily Stabroek News was a business decision and not even a meeting with a high powered media delegation earlier this week could have altered this conviction.

During a break of the 18th Inter-sessional Meeting of the Heads of Government of CARICOM here earlier this week, President Jagdeo met with representatives of the Caribbean Media, who expressed concern and sought clarification on his Government’s decision to pull its advertisements from Stabroek News.{{more}}

At the meeting, President Jagdeo explained that the switching of the majority of Government advertisements from Stabroek News to the Kaieteur News was not a freedom of the press issue but a decision based on economic value; determined by the newspaper’s circulation.

He reiterated this position when he spoke to SEARCHLIGHT. “It was purely a commercial decision, Kaieteur News is not pro-Government, so it was just a matter of more value for money,” said President Jagdeo.

He said that he was disappointed as to how the media had dealt with the story from the beginning of the issue.

“It was a bit unfair, they only highlighted Stabroek’s position,” he said, adding that this was the reason why he was glad for the opportunity to meet media representatives so that he could clear the air on the issue.

President of the Association of Caribbean Media Workers Dale Enoch told SEARCHLIGHT that he felt there was a glimmer of hope that the issue could yet be resolved.

Enoch said that while Jagdeo quoted statistics which he said proved that Stabroek News has been declining in circulation, there was no way of proving the accuracy of those statistics.

He further said that even though the statistics are accurate, a Government cannot just look at figures when it came to the distribution of state funds. He said that he also believes that no Government would want accusations of media muzzling hanging over their heads.

President Bharrat Jagdeo however explained that his Government doesn’t have the resources to place advertisements in every newspaper and on every television station.

“So it is crucial that we examine where the best value would be, it is really as simple as that,” Jagdeo said.

“It is my Government which brought back true press freedom to Guyana and we will never try to censor a newspaper by withholding advertisements, we wouldn’t,” said President Jagdeo.

The delegation that met with the Guyanese leader included Harold Hoyte of One Caribbean Media, Newton James of The Gleaner Group of Jamaica, veteran independent Journalist Rickey Singh and Dale Enoch.

Editor-in-Chief of the Stabroek News, David de Caires was quoted recently as saying “this is further confirmation of the determination to discriminate against this newspaper. They have cancelled existing ads that have been booked already. It is strange.”

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    NDP romps home 14-1
    Front Page
    NDP romps home 14-1
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    THE PEOPLE SPOKE emphatically in Thursday’s general elections in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG)propelling the New Democratic Party (NDP) into the...
    ULP’s ‘Come Home Rally’ attracts thousands
    Front Page
    ULP’s ‘Come Home Rally’ attracts thousands
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A MAMMOTH CROWD thronged the Arnos Vale 2 Playing Field for the ‘Come Home Labour Family’ rally of the Unity Labour Party (ULP) as it closed out the 2...
    Political Parties close out elections campaign with big entertainers
    Front Page
    Political Parties close out elections campaign with big entertainers
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    “THE WIND OF change is blowing throughout this land,” declared Dr Godwin Friday, leader of the New Democratic Party. He was speaking at the party’s cl...
    NMCM: main polling day complaint, long lines
    Front Page
    NMCM: main polling day complaint, long lines
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    VOLUNTEERS UNDER THE auspices of the National Monitoring and Consultative Mechanism (NMCM), who have been monitoring the general elections campaign, h...
    Jamaica’s Andrew Holness Congratulates Dr. Friday
    Press Release
    Jamaica’s Andrew Holness Congratulates Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    EVEN BEFORE his swearing in as prime minister, regional leaders have been sending messages of congratulations to Dr Godwin Friday on the victory of hi...
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    TRINIDAD ANDTOBAGO’S Prime Minister, Kamla Persad Bessesar, was also among regional leaders to send early congratulations to Dr. Godwin Friday. “Tonig...
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    TRINIDAD ANDTOBAGO’S Prime Minister, Kamla Persad Bessesar, was also among regional leaders to send early congratulations to Dr. Godwin Friday. “Tonig...
    Online educator drops in on students at St Vincent Grammar School
    News
    Online educator drops in on students at St Vincent Grammar School
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    BY GRACE FRANCIS WITH A VIEW to setting foot in every country in the Caribbean, online educator, Kerwin Springer, of Trinidad and Tobago paid a visit ...
    Party leaders travelled north on Thursday
    News
    Party leaders travelled north on Thursday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    LEADER OFTHE Unity Labour Party (ULP), Dr Ralph Gonsavles, and leader of the New democratic Party (NDP), Dr Godwin Friday both went to constituencies ...
    Sir Calvert Jones recognized by the OAS
    News
    Sir Calvert Jones recognized by the OAS
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A PRESENTATION BY Vincentian artist, Sir Calvert Jones at the 10th Inter-American Meeting of Ministers of Culture and Highest Appropriate Authorities ...
    From the Courts, News
    Teenage thief activates $900 bond, sent to prison
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A TEENAGER, who used another person’s vehicle without permission and was bonded in the sum of $900, is now imprisoned for four months for stealing fro...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok