Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
No more boat rides for Corke
News
January 7, 2005

No more boat rides for Corke

Brenda Corke, the Sion Hill woman who was reported missing onboard the distressed MV Study Us and then found, says the crew was never rescued as reported. {{more}}

The speculator of 10 years who was onboard MV Study Us, stressed that hours after dropping the anchor, the crew signalled the attention of fishermen aboard a fishing boat who demanded the sum of $3,000 to take the MV Study Us’ crew to shore.

The mother of six said captain Bernard Hayling and another Grenadian then opted to sail to shore aboard one of the vessel’s dinghies and came back with the police on a police vessel.

Bernard Hayling, the captain of the MV Study Us, confirmed this, even as he recounted that the Grenada registered vessel, which had drifted 13 days with seven Vincentians aboard, had been destroyed.

He disclosed this on Wednesday via a telephone call from his Grenada home. Hayling said he shared ownership of the boat with his Grenadian counterpart Patrick Blaze.

Of interest is the disclosure by Hayling that the boat was not fully insured.

He said he and Blaze lost EC$140,000 when MV Study Us burst its anchor and smashed against rocks in the Dominican Republic.

This incident happened on December 17, approximately 16 hours after the vessel anchored on the Dominican Republic coastline and mere hours after the 15-member crew, which also included six Grenadians and two Dutch nationals, touched dry land. He said it would have cost EC$12,000 to insure the boat but the owners had managed to raise only half the amount.

Hayling said that after sighting land for the first time in days, on December 17, he anchored the boat at about 2 a.m., but by 6 p.m. the boat had been destroyed.

He said the goods on board were washed ashore and claimed by residents on the nearby beach.

The MV Study Us left St. Vincent and the Grenadines on December 4 destined for St. Maarten but developed engine problems after its impeller went bad. Hayling said his efforts in getting a new impeller and batteries in the Dominican Republic were futile because he never got back to the ship on time to install the equipment, after spending most of the time answering questions from police.

For Corke, it was her second mishap at sea, an experience she described as frightening. “Thoughts came to my mind that I wasn’t coming back to land again and as I prayed and cried, I often thought how my children was doing.”

In 2000 she drifted aboard the boat Progress for two days off St. Vincent and the Grenadines. The crew then received help from a plane who notified the Coast Guard. Three years later the Progress sank.

Corke plans to use her experience as a learning one: “I will take a break for now but if I have to traffic again I will shift the load with the boat and travel with the plane.”

On Friday, December 24, Corke, Fitzroy Prince, Reinford Delpeche, Catherine Richardson, Lena Hazelwood, Cyril Alexander, and Junior Polson were safely returned to St. Vincent and the Grenadines following the intervention of government officials.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    News
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    The Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, through the World Bank-funded Unleashing the Blue Economy of the Caribbean (UBEC) Project, has reaff...
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    News
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    While most Vincentians know that approximately 5000 Garifuna and Kalinago people were rounded up and forcibly exiled by the British to Balliceaux in 1...
    NASCAR’s Rajah Caruth on historic homecoming to SVG
    Front Page
    NASCAR’s Rajah Caruth on historic homecoming to SVG
    Webmaster 
    August 11, 2026
    THE St.Vincent and the Grenadines Tourism Authority (SVGTA) is waiting proudly to welcome home Rajah Caruth, professional NASCAR driver and Sporting A...
    Prime Minister Friday heads SVG delegation to Taiwan
    Front Page
    Prime Minister Friday heads SVG delegation to Taiwan
    Webmaster 
    August 11, 2026
    PRIME MINISTER Godwin Friday is leading a delegation on an official visit to the Republic of China (Taiwan) as the two countries mark 45 years of dipl...
    Cane Garden lass is new Miss SVG Teen
    Front Page
    Cane Garden lass is new Miss SVG Teen
    Webmaster 
    August 11, 2026
    MISS CANE GARDEN Hannah Archibald, is Miss St Vincent and the Grenadines Teen 2026. Archibald took the crown from among seven young ladies who compete...
    Trinbago Knight Riders clinical as they begin defense of their CPL Title
    Front Page
    Trinbago Knight Riders clinical as they begin defense of their CPL Title
    Webmaster 
    August 11, 2026
    DEFENDING REPUBLIC BANK Caribbean Premier League (CPL) champions Trinbago Knight Riders, were clinical in all departments, as they overcame the St Kit...
    News
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    News
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    The Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, through the World Bank-funded Unleashing the Blue Economy of the Caribbean (UBEC) Project, has reaff...
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    News
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    While most Vincentians know that approximately 5000 Garifuna and Kalinago people were rounded up and forcibly exiled by the British to Balliceaux in 1...
    Prince gets suspended sentence over money brawl
    News
    Prince gets suspended sentence over money brawl
    Webmaster 
    August 11, 2026
    A GREIGGS MAN who struck another man about his body with a cutlass before forcing the weapon into his mouth, has been given a suspended prison sentenc...
    Gunman killed in Rockies
    News
    Gunman killed in Rockies
    Webmaster 
    August 11, 2026
    LESS THAN A week after being released from His Majesty’s Prison (HMP) Ackeem Ferdinand was shot and killed inside his home at Rockies giving real life...
    Men 40 to 49 years make up the bulk of the prison population
    From the Courts, News
    Men 40 to 49 years make up the bulk of the prison population
    Webmaster 
    August 11, 2026
    Middle-aged men continue to constitute the largest bloc of the prison population in St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). Superintendent of Prisons Dwa...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok