Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Court fines Trinidadian man $1500, orders deportation
DESMOND PAVY
From the Courts
December 17, 2021

Court fines Trinidadian man $1500, orders deportation

A TRINIDADIAN MAN who is said to be wanted by the authorities at home will be removed from St Vincent and the Grenadines once he has fulfilled his obligations to pay $1500 on Immigration charges, or serve the default imprisonment term. Desmond Pavy was caught by the Coastguard in the waters off Chateaubelair on November 30.

The Kingstown Magistrate’s Court (KMC) heard last Friday, December 10, that it was around midnight when personnel from the SVG Coast Guard and the Rapid Response Unit (RRU) received some information which caused them to go on sea patrol. While on the Leeward coast near Chateaubelair, they sighted a vessel heading South.

When the Coastguard made attempts to intercept the vessel, the Captain, Pavy, increased its speed. Following this, the vessel began making circles in the water with the Coastguard on its tail. This lasted for approximately 10 minutes, with warning shots being released to no avail. This situation ended when the Coastguard was able to get close enough to the boat and it stopped.

“The officers observed that there were three men on board, and one of them appeared to have an injury,” Prosecutor Corporal Corlene Samuel read from the prepared facts given to her by the officers involved.

The occupants were questioned concerning their identities, and Pavy answered honestly. He was taken to the Chateaubelair Health Centre and later transferred to the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital (MCMH) where he has been warded as a patient since then and underwent surgery on his arm.

When questioned about travel and identification documents, Pavy admitted to the authorities to not having these in his possession.

The vessel was searched after being towed to the Coastguard base and nothing illegal was said to have been found on board.

Pavy admitted to, being a prohibited immigrant, entering the state by boat without a passport and other than a port of entry.

While he was also originally charged with two other offences: being the Master of a vessel knowingly allowing a prohibited immigrant to arrive in such vessel to be landed; as well as knowingly and wilfully allowing himself to be landed as a prohibited immigrant, he maintained innocence on these. They were withdrawn by the prosecution last Friday.

Prosecutor Corlene Samuel informed Senior Magistrate Rickie Burnett that from the information reaching her, “Mr Pavy is known in St Vincent and the Grenadines. He has a conviction record in St Vincent. He was convicted for controlled drugs in 2012,” and sentenced to nine years incarceration.

“He escaped custody in 2013, 22nd of April, and he was returned to St Vincent via extradition,” on August 14, 2015. He finished the rest of his nine year sentence by August 2017, but this was followed by another two year sentence for escaping lawful custody.

She had read this from information on her phone received by the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), sent by the prisons. However, she said that although she has asked for the conviction record, she was still awaiting it.

The prosecutor did have in her possession a document from Trinidad and Tobago (TT) which shows that “He is currently on bail for drugs.

According to information he is also wanted by the police in Trinidad and Tobago.” Pavy’s name and photograph comes up in news reports out of Trinidad and Tobago concerning an alleged drug bust of Marijuana worth 5.8 million dollars in December 2020. However, the particulars of the charge for which Pavy is on bail did not come out in court last Friday.

The prosecution further noted that Pavy had been charged in 2011 for Immigration offences, a fine was ordered and he was deported.
While the matter was stood down to allow for the prosecution to produce a conviction record it does not seem that it was produced, as defence counsel Grant Connell pointed out to the magistrate when court resumed, “You do not have any previous convictions documented before this honourable court.”

He further mitigated that Pavy, a 50-year-old fisherman and father of 10, has expressed extreme remorse for his actions and pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity.

“According to my instructions Mr Pavy was the captain of the vessel when an unmarked vessel approached his- he was not sure what was the nature of the vessel,” the lawyer said, “Circles were made.”

Connell said that it is “interesting” to note that the facts did not say the Coastguard identified themselves or put on a siren.

The lawyer had been told by his client that he “…thought there was some level of piracy. When the vessel got closer he recognised it was the Coastguard, he stopped. The Coastguard identified themselves. He put his hands in the air, the Coastguard asked them to turn off the engine, Mr Pavy went to do that, and he was shot.”

He commented that according to the prosecution, “…this honourable court is to believe that the Captain of a vessel was trying to evade the Coastguard and he was trying to do it in that condition,” as he alleged that it was the Coastguard that shot Pavy.

“He has sustained significant shattering of the bone,” and “loss of all feeling in the left hand,”Connell said.

He submitted that Pavy is in excruciating pain and the injury was still oozing.

The magistrate asked if he is still a patient at the hospital, but the only answer given was that he was supposed to be discharged on that day.

Because it is “crucial” for the injury to be addressed, Connell put forward that a fine may be imposed and the vessel be released to the captain for him to return to Trinidad.

He countered the magistrate’s reminder that the information was that Pavy is wanted, by saying that his client had instructed him that he was not wanted.

“There is a document there that says he is on bail and I very much doubt that the laws of Trinidad and Tobago would differ that much from St Vincent and the Grenadines that if you breach a condition of bail it doesn’t mean that bail won’t still be open to you. The conditions may change…” he posited.

In the face of the court pointing out that Pavy’s previous immigration conviction was an aggravating factor, Connell stated “Aggravating but not detrimental.”

The magistrate also queried whether Pavy was the owner of the vessel, but it was revealed that he was not.

Connell submitted that the Coastguard escorting them on the vessel would be the quickest route back to Trinidad.

However, the prosecutor stated that according to the Coastguard, as soon as the court makes its decision, the information is that the Trinidadian authorities will be coming to these shores to collect Pavy and another occupant of the vessel.

In the end, the court deemed it appropriate to fine Pavy $750 on each count to be paid forthwith, defaulting which there will be a two month prison term. The magistrate also ordered that the defendant be removed from SVG.

It was indicated that any issues beyond this are not for the court to address.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Vincentian Kemarlie Durrant honored with MCU outstanding youth award in Taiwan
    Front Page
    Vincentian Kemarlie Durrant honored with MCU outstanding youth award in Taiwan
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    KEMARLIE DURRANT STOOD out as the only international student honoured among the 12 recipients of the 2026 Ming Chuan University Outstanding Youth Awar...
    Vincentian Nurse stands out in Barbados
    Front Page
    Vincentian Nurse stands out in Barbados
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    A VINCENTIAN ON the nursing team at the The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Barbados, has been named Nurse of the Year as the hospital celebrates Nursing ...
    Spiritual Baptists arrive early to celebrate Liberation Day
    Front Page
    Spiritual Baptists arrive early to celebrate Liberation Day
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    ARCHBISHOP CHARLIE BLACKMAN from the Rock of Ages Evangelicals Spiritual Baptists of Barbados, along with many of the faith’s practitioners arrived in...
    Lawyer to take action on behalf  of accused  police officers
    Front Page
    Lawyer to take action on behalf of accused police officers
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE DECISION by the Royal St Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force (RSVGPF) to suspend without pay, officers who are accused of crimes, has attracte...
    Government looking at permanent fix for Grenadines housing and water problems
    Front Page
    Government looking at permanent fix for Grenadines housing and water problems
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE GOVERNMENT said that plans are underway to deal with the housing issues in the Grenadines, as well as the water problem that has been plaguing the...
    Nadia Slater’s alleged attacker remanded for a third time
    Front Page
    Nadia Slater’s alleged attacker remanded for a third time
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE CLARE VALLEY MAN, who is alleged to have attempted to murder Nadia Slater, the Acting Director of the Agency for Public Information (API) was rema...
    News
    Public servants were fettered under ULP, says PM Friday
    News
    Public servants were fettered under ULP, says PM Friday
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    PUBLIC SERVANTS under the Unity Labour Party (ULP) administration were not given the freedom to do their jobs property, Prime Minister (PM) Dr. Godwin...
    Former PM thanks God that NDP didn’t boycott Spiritual Baptist Bill
    News
    Former PM thanks God that NDP didn’t boycott Spiritual Baptist Bill
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    FORMER PRIME MINISTER and Leader of the Opposition, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves has reminded the general public that the New Democratic Party (NDP) now in gov...
    Agro-processors address constraints in the sector at Forum
    News
    Agro-processors address constraints in the sector at Forum
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE CENTRE for Enterprise Development (CED) brought together agro-processors, entrepreneurs, policymakers, financiers and other stakeholders on Tuesda...
    Calypso tents to blast off next week
    News
    Calypso tents to blast off next week
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    A NEW CALYPSO tent will be part of this year’s Vincy Mas Great Escape, when the tents begin to present their casts for the 2026 carnival season on Tue...
    Former PM accuses NDP of taking credit for ULP initiatives
    News
    Former PM accuses NDP of taking credit for ULP initiatives
    Webmaster 
    May 15, 2026
    FORMER PRIME MINISTER of St Vincent and the Grenadines, and Leader of the Opposition, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves is accusing the New Democratic Party( NDP) a...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok