Posted on

Cemetery Hill resident charged with burglary at Salvation Army Headquarters while under curfew

Cemetery Hill resident charged with burglary at Salvation Army Headquarters while under curfew
JASON WILLIAMS

Social Share

A SECOND man has been charged for the recent burglary of the Salvation Army headquarters, and he is alleged to have committed the crime during the time he was supposed to be under court-ordered curfew.

Thirty-two-year-old Jason Williams originally of Long Wall and residing in Cemetery Hill, had previously been granted bail from the High Court on June 30, subject to conditions including a curfew and reporting to the police station in his district.

One month after being granted his freedom, he has now been charged with breaching the attached conditions on five occasions. He is also charged that on July 29, in Cemetery Hill, he, knowing or believing a pair of black and white Adidas slippers, a pair of brown slippers, and two boxers to be stolen goods, dishonestly received them for his own benefit.

Finally, that between July 7 and 8, he entered the Salvation Army’s building at Melville Street Kingstown as a trespasser and stole $12,077 in cash.

Prosecution Sergeant Cornelius Tittle objected to Williams’ bail. He told Senior Magistrate Rickie Burnett, that the defendant had been placed on a curfew, and it is alleged that he had not been complying with the curfew, and charges were brought against him in relation to this. These alleged instances indicate he may not comply with conditions if bail was granted.

When asked as to their state of readiness to commence the matter, the prosecution gave a time period of one month.

Williams pointed out that someone had already been charged with the burglary of the Salvation Army, and that the other person who is charged is not someone that is a friend of his.

He claimed that he was in the custody of the police during times when he was supposed to report to the police, and had been at the hospital with injuries for a long period on an occasion when his curfew was allegedly breached.

After listening to both sides, the magistrate denied bail, and adjourned the matter for August 16.

On this date Williams will appear with Kyjuan Prince, who previously appeared at the Serious Offences Court(SOC) on Monday, July 26, and entered a ‘not guilty’ plea for the burglary at the Salvation Army building. Prince has been granted bail in the sum of $13,000 with one surety, but said that he had no one to sign his bail.

LAST NEWS