Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
From the Courts
November 21, 2008

Joseph murder trial coming to a close

The Peter Joseph murder case is slowly coming to its end at the High Court. On Wednesday, November 12, the prosecution led by Duane Daniel closed their case after producing 12 witnesses in the matter where Webster Woodley, Grenadian Sheldon Bain and Michael Samuel stand accused for Joseph’s murder of November 30, 2004, at Cane Hall.{{more}}

The defence team, consisting of Kay Bacchus-Browne, Nicole Sylvester and Stephen Williams should have taken a certain course of action yesterday, which they indicated they would the day before.

Earlier this week, counsel for the three accused men accused Corporal Dexter Hunte of tampering with a statement given by Rinella Clarke on December 12, 2004. The Lawyers stated that the original statement and a photocopied one did not correspond with each other. It was brought to the court’s attention by the defence that no permission was given by the witness to add anything else to the statement and that Hunte only added words to the statement after instructions by a senior officer. Hunte, an officer of 17 years experience, said he could not recall where the extra words to Clarke’s statement were added. He went on to say that he could not explain how the statements did not correspond. “Your honour, I really can’t explain how the added words were only on the photocopy of the statement,” Hunte said, with a confused look on his face. Hunte further added that he was confused as to how Clarke’s signature got on the photocopied statement.

Lawyer Bacchus-Browne said the alteration of the statement was only made in the latter part of 2007 and that Hunte was lying to the court. Officer Hunte had also admitted to not including certain things in his statement because he was informed by a senior police officer not to. He said that the gun allegedly used in the incident that he took to Barbados was not included in his statement in April 2005 and neither was the two live rounds of ammunition received from Station Sergeant Trevor Bailey.

Meanwhile, investigating officer Corporal Verrol Messiah admitted to the court that he did not follow proper police procedure during parts of his investigations. The officer of 19 years experience at the time of the murder, said in his evidence in chief, that he had recorded a statement from accused Woodley on May 10, 2005 and continued it on August 10, 2005.

However, that was never indicated in his statement. Messiah told the court that he had not completed the statement on May 10 because more investigations into the matter were being carried out.

At this time presiding judge Frederick Bruce-Lyle told Messiah that it is proper police procedure to write a new statement in the case when something else develops. “Why didn’t you do this?” asked Bruce-Lyle. Messiah replied, “My Lord I thought I could have continued my Lord. I should have started on a different form.”

Messiah further added that when he had questioned Woodley about Joseph’s murder, he (Woodley) told him (Messiah) that he was at home with his baby’s mother. (KW)

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    NDP romps home 14-1
    Front Page
    NDP romps home 14-1
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    THE PEOPLE SPOKE emphatically in Thursday’s general elections in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG)propelling the New Democratic Party (NDP) into the...
    ULP’s ‘Come Home Rally’ attracts thousands
    Front Page
    ULP’s ‘Come Home Rally’ attracts thousands
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A MAMMOTH CROWD thronged the Arnos Vale 2 Playing Field for the ‘Come Home Labour Family’ rally of the Unity Labour Party (ULP) as it closed out the 2...
    Political Parties close out elections campaign with big entertainers
    Front Page
    Political Parties close out elections campaign with big entertainers
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    “THE WIND OF change is blowing throughout this land,” declared Dr Godwin Friday, leader of the New Democratic Party. He was speaking at the party’s cl...
    Front Page
    NMCM: main polling day complaint, long lines
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    VOLUNTEERS UNDER THE auspices of the National Monitoring and Consultative Mechanism (NMCM), who have been monitoring the general elections campaign, h...
    Jamaica’s Andrew Holness Congratulates Dr. Friday
    Press Release
    Jamaica’s Andrew Holness Congratulates Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    EVEN BEFORE his swearing in as prime minister, regional leaders have been sending messages of congratulations to Dr Godwin Friday on the victory of hi...
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    TRINIDAD ANDTOBAGO’S Prime Minister, Kamla Persad Bessesar, was also among regional leaders to send early congratulations to Dr. Godwin Friday. “Tonig...
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    TRINIDAD ANDTOBAGO’S Prime Minister, Kamla Persad Bessesar, was also among regional leaders to send early congratulations to Dr. Godwin Friday. “Tonig...
    Online educator drops in on students at St Vincent Grammar School
    News
    Online educator drops in on students at St Vincent Grammar School
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    BY GRACE FRANCIS WITH A VIEW to setting foot in every country in the Caribbean, online educator, Kerwin Springer, of Trinidad and Tobago paid a visit ...
    Party leaders travelled north on Thursday
    News
    Party leaders travelled north on Thursday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    LEADER OFTHE Unity Labour Party (ULP), Dr Ralph Gonsavles, and leader of the New democratic Party (NDP), Dr Godwin Friday both went to constituencies ...
    Calvert Jones recognized by the OAS
    News
    Calvert Jones recognized by the OAS
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A PRESENTATION BY Vincentian artist, Calvert Jones at the 10th Inter-American Meeting of Ministers of Culture and Highest Appropriate Authorities puts...
    From the Courts, News
    Teenage thief activates $900 bond, sent to prison
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A TEENAGER, who used another person’s vehicle without permission and was bonded in the sum of $900, is now imprisoned for four months for stealing fro...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok