Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Sandy Bay residents still trying to cope one year after disaster
Features
December 5, 2017

Sandy Bay residents still trying to cope one year after disaster

One year on, some residents of Sandy Bay are still trying to put their lives together, after the passage of a trough system that caused widespread damage in their village.

On November 29, 2016, heavy rains and the flooding that resulted forced as many as 197 villagers into emergency shelters.

Last Wednesday, a thanksgiving service was held at the Sandy Bay Primary School, which served as an emergency shelter for three months.

Eight homes were totally destroyed, five partially damaged and several sustained minor damage from the flood waters.

SEARCHLIGHT spoke with two survivors about how they have coped since last year’s event.

Karen Nickie Yorke of Pepper Village, Sandy Bay, said she was at home when the flooding began.

“My children were soaking from head to toe, even the bed they were sleeping on was soaked,” she said.

“We managed to come out of the house and get help. It was dark and there were a lot of debris on the road, but we managed to get to the shelter,” Yorke recalled.

One year later, Yorke, who has three children, said her house is still standing, but it is uninhabitable.

“I am coping, but still hope that they would provide somewhere for me to live, as I am still in rent house,” she disclosed.

Monette, also from Pepper Village, said on the fateful night, she was looking at the water flowing in the gutter next to her house.

After 11 p.m., she and her sister and their seven children went to her grandmother’s house and it was there she saw the water overflow in her yard and begin to rise. 

“While at my grandmother, I heard rumblings and tumblings and just saw water keep coming down. I screamed and I cried. I told my children I don’t believe we have a house anymore, because it seems as if the front of the house had already washed away; so, I just want to give God thanks and praise, for carrying us through and bringing us thus far.”

She said they initially camped at the Sandy Bay Primary School, but have since reluctantly moved back into their house.

“I don’t feel safe at home anymore, to tell you the truth, especially in the night when rain is falling. I feel real scared because is like nothing hasn’t done as yet (work) and the gutter is just there open. It’s not safe anymore.”

In addition to private homes, the trough system caused the disruption of school for an entire term and bridges were blocked, damaged or destroyed and a number of businesses and other buildings were damaged. 

Graves at the cemetery at London were exposed by waters which gushed through the area.

Government has since identified an area adjacent to the current cemetery to be used as a short-term burial site.(GHJ) 

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Warm welcome for Vincentian NASCAR driver
    Front Page
    Warm welcome for Vincentian NASCAR driver
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Rajah Caruth, professional NASCAR Driver and Sporting Ambassador for St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), got a warm homecoming when he arrived on We...
    CRAB not going to spread like Covid/AIDS – medical specialist
    Front Page
    CRAB not going to spread like Covid/AIDS – medical specialist
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Infectious disease specialist Dr. Jerrol Thompson has said the drug-resistant bacterium, Carbapenem-Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii (CRAB), recently...
    Components displeased over CDC prize giving ceremony
    Front Page
    Components displeased over CDC prize giving ceremony
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    The manner in which the prize money for components involved in VincyMas competitions 2026 was distributed has left a bitter taste in the mouth of some...
    Entrepreneur introduces new tequila to the local market
    Front Page
    Entrepreneur introduces new tequila to the local market
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Mohandus “Bobby” Martin is hoping to carve out a niche in the St Vincent and the Grenadines’s (SVG) beverage market by introducing an affordable Europ...
    Close friend says Layou man’s death was not by stabbing
    Front Page
    Close friend says Layou man’s death was not by stabbing
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Reports that Layou resident Renold “Bagga” Quashie was stabbed and killed seems not have been the correct conclusion, a relayed by a friend who referr...
    Twenty receive Basil Charles Foundation scholarships and bursaries for 2026
    Front Page
    Twenty receive Basil Charles Foundation scholarships and bursaries for 2026
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Twenty new students have been added to The Basil Charles Educational Foundation (BCEF) Scholarship programme, which this year celebrates 30 years. The...
    News
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth  excited to  create new  memories of SVG
    News
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth excited to create new memories of SVG
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Professional NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth received a hero’s welcome in Barrouallie yesterday, August 13,2026 returning to his roots during an emotional ...
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    News
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    With Artificial Intelligence (AI) becoming increasingly advanced and accessible, Chief Executive Officer of the National Centre for Technological Inno...
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    News
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Former Miss St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), Aviar Charles recently reflected on her journey to the crown while encouraging the St. Vincent and th...
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    News
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    The Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, through the World Bank-funded Unleashing the Blue Economy of the Caribbean (UBEC) Project, has reaff...
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    News
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    While most Vincentians know that approximately 5000 Garifuna and Kalinago people were rounded up and forcibly exiled by the British to Balliceaux in 1...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok